The government began a new grant for Sports funding (PE and Sports Grant) last year, which this year is £8600 for the school year. Please read our Sports funding impact statement.
St Mary’s has historically had a comprehensive sport offering in school, but since the introduction of the Sports Grant we have been using the money to add to our offer. Ofsted (2014) were pleased with the impact this additional funding was having:
‘Leaders make good use of the primary sports funding. The school is using specialist coaches to
provide additional provision while supporting the training of staff. This is increasing pupils’
participation in sport and their well-being.’
In recognition of our commitment to high quality Sports provision, we have been awarded the Bronze level School Games Mark (October 2015, and again in 2016).
We have been spending the grant on:
- A subscription to Westminster Sports Unit which allows us access to inter-school competitions and training support for our teachers.
- Paying the cost of all our after school sports clubs so they are subsidised or free for all pupils. This has significantly increased levels of participation – particularly for more disadvantaged pupils.
- Professional coaches from QPR and Premier Sport to team teach with our teachers (which helps improve their skills and therefore guarantees long term high quality sports provision in the school) and to lead an even wider range of sports clubs
- Opportunities for as many children as possible to take part in Westminster sports events and competitions in a range of different sports
- Additional Sports activities which the children might not access otherwise eg rock climbing, kayaking
By using the money to provide experiences that we are unable to offer from our usual budget, it has started to develop interests in activities that the children would be less likely to encounter or enable them to discover a talent they did not know they had.
This is our Action Plan and Budget Plan for PE, which show what we are hoping to achieve in 2015-16:
Please see more detail about PE here.